Why I Returned to College
             In winter of 1979 I dropped out of college, right in the middle of a semester, and had no idea when I would go back school again; if I ever wanted to, that is. Being in my early twenties, and confused about many things that a typical young man in that age can be, I found having fun not only the easiest, but also the most pleasurable thing to do. Going to college was no fun, at all.

            There is no magic in the fact that life is all about reward and punishment. Think and plan wisely, the reward is almost guaranteed; think and plan lightly, the punishment is almost guaranteed. My life went through tremendous anguish following dropping out of college. It took me 40 years to wake up, rub my eyes and say to myself, hmm…it’s time to go back! Now that I am back to school, when I ask myself why I decided to do so; I see only one reason: I came back to finish what I left unfinished 40 years ago, and not because I think education will open the doors of opportunities to me; although it may. I occasionally get compliments from friends and others for making this decision, but in all honesty, I don’t see any reason why I should be proud of myself for doing something that I started decades ago and abandoned it incomplete. I am only back to complete it.    

Comments